Monday, September 22, 2008

Dock 5x5in

sold

My main concern with this piece was concentrating on positive and negative shapes, light and warm and cool colours.

I have been drawn to this subject over the past 2 years since I made sketches of a fisherman docking his boat near where I lived in south east Thailand.

Below is a short piece written by Miriam Duggan about a similar piece I made last year.

'One of his strongest features is Richard’s ability to capture light. In Vessel (2007), we see the silhouette of a fisherman with his boat in the last moments of full sun before it starts to set. The sunlight has made the water swollen, as though it were drenched with light and the fisherman seems to be enjoying a moment of quiet contemplation before getting on with finishing the work of the day. The beauty of Vessel comes from its deep evocation of a moment of stillness and ease with simplicity.'

No comments: