Monday, November 30, 2009

A Bottle of Black



A Bottle of Black - oil/panel - 7"x5" - sold
(Still Life with Guinness bottle on Wooden Cabinet)
I had actually started this piece some months ago in Roundstone Connemara, and just could not find the right surrounding for the proud stout bottle I was describing.
I kept thinking that I would have to bring the bottle and my paints down to a pub table and paint it in that sort of atmospheric interior.
Of course fearing the wrath of the publican that never happened, and when I arrived home from my recent artists residency in Cill Rialaig, Co. Kerry I found this beautiful antique cabinet which had been located in the kitchen of my family home had now found its way into my studio!
Then just the other day I noticed the day light beaming through the window onto the cabinet top and I quickly grabbed up the bottle, placing it down I got to work to capture the lights warmth on the bottle and surrounding wooden surface.
'Sláinte!'
-Richard

No comments: