Monday, March 15, 2010

Composition in Green and White



Composition in Green and White (tribute to Chardin and Leffel) - oil on canvas - 12"x10" - sold

As I was discussing in my previous post, my application of paint is I feel becoming improved by studying some masters paintings. I often go into the National Gallery to look at the one Sorolla painting they have there. The boldness and fluency of his brush strokes in this particular piece are just amazing.

I get excited by paint. I love to see the stuff of paint descriptively put on the canvas.

In illustrations or highly finished paintings you may admire the technique for a moment but I feel there is nowhere for you to become evolved - its all spelt out for you.
In this kind of work the image is 'all done' - there is no place for you to get into the painting. There is little or no sensitivity - no mystery.
With paintings like these - I see it, I admire the technique but beyond that there is not much interest - no real emotional contact. It just becomes something I admire because of the technique.

In an Artists painting as appose to an illustrators painting, I feel you are aware of the technique but that's not what is engaging you - its something deeper in the nervous system.

Artists like Sorolla, Chardin, Velasquez and Rembrandt were able, through increased sensitivity to distill reality with a poignant force through there nervous systems.
This is what I feel I have been continually endeavouring to cultivate over the years in my work.
And to keep this sort of engagement and sensitivity alive I have to, through my work, subject matter, media and inspiration constantly challenge myself - expand, evolve, and elevate.

No comments: