Friday, February 4, 2011

Contre-Jour Arrangement



Contre - Jour Arrangement - oil/panel - 7"x5" - NFS

This piece was created one morning on a side street in the old town of Trat.
The glass vase holding the wrapped leaves and flowers was my centre of interest.
In the background across the street you can see the outline of my wonderful bicycle which was given to me by an old friend to help me get about the place.

Later that day I happened to bump into the head art teacher in the largest secondary school in the province and he asked me if I would be willing to give a painting demonstration to the students as part of a 112 year celebration of the schools existence. 

The following day I arrived at the school on my bike clinging onto my easel and portfolio case to be greeted by over 2000 students!!

The demos I gave over the two days were conducted under tarpaulin tents in the baking midday heat. The students rotated around the large yard to the various different seminars going on which included dance, boxing, music and games. 

I used some photos I had taken from home as a means of subject matter and was delighted with the response of the students and the way the pieces turned out considering all the gawking eyes peeping in wonder over my shoulders.

No comments: