Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lobster Pots



Lobster Pots - oil/panel - 7"x5" - sold

Started painting outdoors a few days ago. It is for me the most invigorating way to work - the fresh air, sounds and smells and excitement of what you might find when walking about with your easel and palette in hand, not to mention the challenge that the weather and changing light presents.

The Reddish Pink buoys and semi triangular shape of the pile of Lobster pots attracted me to this scene close to my studio on Westport Quey. My mission was to simplify this quite complex mass, which included different coloured ropes, pots and buoys and into a simplified and unified whole. My concept was to concentrate my efforts into making a strong focal point (the Bouy at bottom right resting between bars) by building the image up from the outset through simplifying the various forms and working the whole image at once so as not to get caught in detail until the final marks.

This sort of a concept enables me to finish the painting 'Alla Prima' - in one sitting.

Hope you like it. - Richard

No comments: