Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Introspective, Self Portrait



Introspective Self Portrait - oil/panel - 7"x5" - Reserved

Since the launch of my last show one month ago I have done little painting with exception of one day of life painting a week at the Royal Hibernian Academy. This 'time off' has been of great benefit to me and has allowed me room for reflection and introspection as well as the chance to plan for future projects and further creativity.

I painted this self portrait some months ago from a photo I had taken in 2006 one night on the forest side of the island of Koh Mak in the eastern gulf of Thailand. I spent many seasons on that island developing my art work in a consistent frenzy of creativity. The reference by which this painting was made must have been taken after a days painting. In some ways this painting reminds me of a little gem of a Rembrandt self portrait. Rembrandt often made self portraits with his eyes in shade but they still seem to convey so much inner emotion. (see below)

No comments: