Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Artist's Boots

I had had these old leather boots of mine recently resoled in New York City.

Some weeks ago they carried me to Neustadt an der Weinstresse in Germany, to take part in an international symposium of painters and sculptors. I decided to start my work that week by creating a painting of my boots.

In a very direct manner I blocked in the selected tones and shapes of my boots in a created space. I played with the idea of offsetting their soft leather form against a white 'framing device'.

Perhaps the symbol of these boots also hints at an inward journey? A journey always begins with the first step! All creativity begins inside our centre. We must all 'draw' our creativity from inside ourselves and from there it is possible to move out into the world.



















The Artist's Boots - oil on panel - 12"x9"
Private Collection, Ireland

No comments: