Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Caravaggio's Dagger



Caravaggio's Dagger - oil on canvas - 12"x10" - sold

For me Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio is one of the very greatest painters of all time. I find his works so arresting and can only imagine how his Art was received by the people who commissioned him and the general public at that time.

He worked in a very direct manner 'eyeballing' his subject and then attacking the canvas with paint - absolutely no preliminary drawing was used as a guide - just like the way I love to work.

It was not only his painting methods that were controversial. He was known to always carry with him a sword and a dagger and has been attributed to at least two murders and numerous violent attacks!

This piece was a dream to make. I worked with a limited palette creating as much atmosphere as possible out of these few subjects. The dagger, leafs and colouring remind me of a Caravaggio.

Hope you like it too. - Richard

To get pricing and or reserve this Art Work or any other paintings to feature in my upcoming exhibit 'Objects of Knowledge' you can contact me through my blog on facebook or by email at info@richardhearns.com

No comments: