Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Apple (delinated form) 7x5in

Sold

I was at the 'Impressionist Interiors' exhibition in the National Gallery yesterday.

I really enjoyed the show and ran around the gallery like a crazed schoolboy!

The exhibition comprises of paintings and drawings by Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Gauguin and Pierre Bonnard to mention a few.

Degas and Gauguin's work excited me the most. While admiring some of Degas drawings from 1880 (100 years before i was even born!) it struck me that they look just as bold and eye catching as anything I see today in the galleries not to mention the advertising industry.

With that in mind I came back to the studio to create a oil painting where the influence of drawing extended into the painting process in a bold way. I know that artists like Degas, Cezanne and Picasso worked this way - deconstructing , flattening or simplifying and re-forming their chosen subject, and even though their subjects did not possess a ' traditional realness' through the use of line they can appear solid and very distinct.

Hope this apple manages to capture and describe form using outline and pattern!

No comments: