Monday, December 1, 2008

Ladybird 5x5in

sold

Hi Everyone,
This Ladybird painting is the 101st post on my 'painting projects blog' and also the first of a series of 'collaborative paintings' I am embarking on.

On my last 'daily painting project' I worked mostly from direct observation - that is sitting with the actual object in my studio or outdoors and painting it.

This project involves working directly from photographs supplied by a Dutch photographer friend of mine called Ton Peters . Ton is a keen naturalist and spends a lot of time walking in nature with his camera around Holland and Ireland. His photographs of all thing natural are beautiful.

Using photography as my only reference presents many challenges.
To me photos are inherently flat and capture so much detail without really describing it.
The challenge for me is great- to create a real focal point-to describe different textures with out being actually able to interact with them - to keep things painterly and not to get lost and caught up in 'copying' detail. So for me its a case of editing and coming up with a clear concept around each piece.

With this Ladybird piece my main goal was to create a strong focal point and to describe and capture with paint the very different textures of the ladybird and the leaf. Hope you like it.

'A Quiet Light', my solo show that opened in The CongArt Gallery, Co. Mayo last week has gone brilliantly. There was a huge turn out on the opening night and I would like to thank all who came along. Special thanks to Sheila - who is a star curator and John for his kind words and encouragement.
The show continues until Friday 5th December. You can view some of the work here on there website or check out my website http://www.richardhearns.com/ Enjoy.

-Richard

No comments: