Monday, November 8, 2010

Into the West

Into the West - oil/panel - 7"x5" - sold


During the last few weeks I have been settling into my new home and studio appointment on the road to Louisburgh near the Old Quay by Clew bay just outside of Westport in Co. Mayo.


It is a breathtaking spot. There are 365 islands in the bay in front of the cottage and the climb to the majestic Croke Patrick mountain is just down the road.


Over the past few weeks my work has been curving back towards and revisiting subject matter of the past - notably 'Figure in Landscape'. With the sea, sky and islands surrounding me in Co. Mayo I feel similar impulses towards the landscape as those I felt during my travels in and around Thailand.


To survive a winter in the west I'm going to really engage with my environment and continue my outdoor gestural sketches in oil with the idea to paint the weather.


Before the week is out I will give you all details of my upcoming solo show - 'Like a River Flows'.


- Richard

No comments: