Thursday, March 10, 2011

On Keel Beach, Achill Island



On Keel Beach, Achill Island - oil/panel - 12"x9"

There are numerous ways in which I start and work through the process of creating a painting.
This process below is in fact a quite structured but organic way of creating a painting outdoors. After composing the painting in my minds eye I take a deep breath and with my brush at the ready begin to translate and distill the atmosphere of the surrounding landscape as best I can.

Limited myself to 45mins for this piece. Working this way I believe creates something totally unique as nothing is laboured over. In fact it all happens so quick that I hardly know what took place and am just left with this wonderfully fresh creation.

My main hope is that a strong sense of the essence of the place is transmuted to the board and captured forever.

- Richard

No comments: