Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paint Tube and Onions



Paint Tube and Onions - oil on canvas - 12"x9" - sold

This piece has been in the making for some time now. Over a year in fact! It's not often that a painting will sit in my studio for an extended period but this piece just wouldn't pull together for me. I started to compose the piece in a triangular composition made up of the red onions and a piece of dill herb which lead your eye up into the centre of interest. But all along the composition felt weak.

It took me some time to identify what was not working and to come up with solutions for a better piece. Am really happy with how it has turned out now and how I dealt with problems of colour, space, and how I wanted the painting read in general.

If at first you don't succeed, Try Try again! :)

No comments: