Monday, October 13, 2014

Rijks Museum

I'm back at work in my studio now but on Thursday last I had the chance to spend a day at the Rijks Museum in the heart of Amsterdam's Museum quarter. The Rijks has just undergone a ten year refurbishment and renovation and just opened up fully again in 2013.

The museum is divided up chiefly into four sections.
'Special Collections', on the ground floor which includes works created from 1100 through to 1600 as well as an incredible collection of Asian antiquities which are housed in a special pavilion. 1700 to 1900 on floor one where I was particularly taken by a Goya self portrait. Then the second floor with its great hall and gallery of honour containing works from the 1600-1700 namely the Night Watch by Rembrandt and little gems by Vermeer like Milkmaid and Little Street.

I never made it to the 1900-2000 on the third floor but I suppose they will all be waiting for my return to Amsterdam which won't come quickly enough.


No comments: