Friday, November 14, 2014

From Paris to the Palatinate

On Sunday last we travelled by TGV train from Paris into the heartland of the Palatinate in south-western Germany. This was to be my third visit to Germany this year. I journeyed to spend time with my friend and artist Ralph Gelbert and to discuss a commissioned painting project for the Muller-Catoir family, a large and renowned fine wine producing family in the region.

The trip was such fun and it was so nice to be able to see this area of Germany in the late autumn/early winter and to share this place with Boo for the first time.

In July of this year I had been invited to take part in an International Symposium of painters and sculptures in this area and had the opportunity to create work and exhibit. During my time there I was fortunate enough to be hosted by the Catoir family and discussions began about commissioned paintings of mine to add to the families large collection which dates back some three hundred years.
I look forward to putting planning in place so I can start work on these pieces in April of next year.

I will never forget the warm hospitality we received in this area of Germany. And I look forward to welcome my friends from Neustradt an der Weinstrasse to Ireland again some time soon.

Below some pictures from our visit including highlights of mine from the Staedel Museum in Frankfurt.


















Beautifully prepared dinner at Studio Gelbert's and plenty of fine wine!























A view of Ralph's studio space from our bedroom!


















Crossing a bridge over the Rhine river in Frankfurt. Don't ask me what we were pointing at!




Städel Museum, Front facade Photo: Städel Museum



















Arnold Böcklin - Villa by the Sea.





















Jean-Léon Gérôme - Saint Jerome and a Lion.



















Rembrandt - The Blinding of Samson.

No comments: