Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Lone Horse, Caher Valley, Fanore

Some months ago during a walk with a friend of mine up the Khyber pass in Fanore I came across this image of a Lone grey horse standing on top of a rugged Burren hill. I was drawn in immediately to his still and majestic silhouetted form set against the sky.

This path, which snakes east inland along the Caher river valley passes a deserted famine village. The Caher river is the only river in the Burren which flows it's entire course above ground. It has to be one of my very favourite places to walk as it looks untouched and has this timeless quality.

Describing the embankment in this painting I employed glazes and scumbles which I built up over time. The majority of the paintings colour has a cool feel to it offset by the beautiful warm tones I found in the horse's coat.

I hope you like it. - RH

Lone Horse, Caher Valley, Fanore - oil on museum panel - 12"x8"


No comments: