Monday, September 12, 2016

Blue Can with Notebook and Brown Bottle

I've been putting together a little collection of smaller paintings that I plan to exhibit alongside some larger finished works in New York this coming October and November. These smaller pieces feature single objects or a combination of objects in a planned sequence or composition.

It's my hope, when beginning works like this,  that I employ a strong and focused 'economy of means', that is to say that I use my brushwork, gesture and colour in such a way as to tell a story in the simplest and most direct manner possible - It's not easy and a struggle that ends in anticlimax and frustration at times. But when it works it can be beautiful.

This painting measures 12x8inches or 30x20cm. It's my hope to be able to work on and create a number of works in this manner during my time in NYC this year, and if they are good enough, to exhibit them along with my other chosen pieces at my studio at the Sheen Centre on Bleecker St and at my exhibit 'Where Your Treasure Is' which opens November 10th.

Just last week Videographer Eoin Collins finished an edit documenting one such piece. This short three minute documentary focuses on a work created from direct observation and will feature at my show in New York so as to engage and give visitors a deeper insight in to my processes. I look forward to share this specially commissioned piece with you here online in the coming days.

- Richard

Blue Can with Notebook and Brown Bottle, 2016.
oil on Italian gesso panel - 12x8inches.
Reserved for my coming NYC Exhibit.
Contact, info@richardhearns.com for further information.



No comments: